[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Insulation Discussion Forum • View topic - Vermiculite in Attic - Cost for removal

Vermiculite in Attic - Cost for removal

Search for topics related to your area of interest, ask questions, post answers or simply browse our large database of information related to home insulating and air sealing.

Vermiculite in Attic - Cost for removal

Postby Jackofalltrades » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:43 pm

I am remodeling an older home in the Milwaukee area and the attic has 3-4 inches of vermiculite in the 1,200 sq-ft attic. I realize the vermiculite probably has asbestos in it and that there is no good way to test it for sure. I want the attic properly air sealed and there is no way to do that without removing the vermiculite, so I want it out. Has anyone else removed vermiculite and how much did you pay?

PS - Yes I know the EPA recommends not removing vermiculite because they don't want home owners trying it themselves, but the EPA doesn't care about the resale value of my home and they don't know the first thing about air sealing and making a home energy efficient. I'm not going to risk my life and yes I will be hiring a professional company to remove it.
Jackofalltrades

Advertisement

Re: Vermiculite in Attic - Cost for removal

Postby vermguy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:40 am

I have several rental properties in Racine and Kenosha that are going through the low income weatherization program. The Racine Kenosha Community Action Agency (RKCAA) identified vermiculite in the attic of one of my properties and stopped their assessment on the spot. I was pretty frustrated, but they explained that they can not work in attics with vermiculite and that it must first be removed. They referred me to an insulation contractor called Racine Home Insulators, LLC. Apparently they service all of Milwaukee, Kenosha and Racine and are experts at removing vermiculite from attics.

Here is a link to their web site about vermiculitin attics:

Their guy came out and I am expecting an estimate soon. He said the price ranges from $1.00 to $3.00 per sq/ft. My house only has the vermiculite on the sides in the knee wall crawl areas so I am hoping it will be under $1,000. That will be a good investment considering I will get a new furnace and attic and walls fully insulated for free!
vermguy

Return to Ask & Answer: Insulation and Air Sealing Discussion