Respirator Safety When Using 2 Part Spray Foam

Search for topics related to your area of interest, ask questions, post answers or simply browse our large database of information related to home insulating and air sealing.

Respirator Safety When Using 2 Part Spray Foam

Postby Spray Foam Safety » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:14 pm

I have been using a lot of 2 part closed cell spray foam, such as that made by Touch-n-Spray, Tiger and Handi Foam. I have been using a NIOSH P100 filter respirator mask. I bought it at Menards for about $40. It simply covers the nose and mouth and has two small canisters (P100). Unfortunately, I can't find anything atthe respective web sites. They all just say where the proper safety equipment.

This is a big issue for my company because we have a few hard working employees and while their safety is paramount they complain about the canister respirator masks when spraying foam on foundation walls while in tight crawl spaces. I have even caught some switching back to their white cloth particle/dusk masks.

We always keep as many windows open as possible and use fans to exchange the air in these tight crawl spaces. Anyone know what the proper safety measures are? I am tempted to call the companies and ask point blank.
Spray Foam Safety

Re: Respirator Safety When Using 2 Part Spray Foam

Postby WashingtonState » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:27 am

We were told we just needed to where any NIOSh approved canister filter - but it woul dbe nice to nail down a specific one.
WashingtonState

Postby dlarrivee » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:20 pm

You're going to need to get a hold of some "organic vapor" cartridges. I'll look up the certain ones we have at work for this.
dlarrivee

Postby Jackofalltrades » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:16 am

If you are in a crawl space you'll want some decent fans for air movement. We purchased some mini blower fans from Menards by Stanley (yellow and black ) for about 35 bucks that fit nicely and move a lot of air. But when we are in attics where we are air sealing and there is some air movement a good filter N95 mask is just fine.
Jackofalltrades

Postby Inspector Gadget » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:12 pm

2 part sprayfoams contain Isocyanate. Supplied air repirator is the only foam of proper protection. There is no cartridge in the world which protects against iso.
Inspector Gadget

Postby foamer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm concerned about the small kits primarily used for air sealing and some crawl space walls.

The MSDS for the Touch N Seal product, Component A, says:
Respiratory Protection: If exposure limits are exceeded or irritation is experienced, NIOSH/MSHA approved respiratory
protection should be worn. Respiratory protection must be provided in accordance with
current local regulations.

What level of NIOSH approved respiratory protection is then required? Just a N95 mask? What are others wearing?

http://www.touch-n-seal.com/assets/pdf/ ... ormula.pdf
http://www.touch-n-seal.com/assets/pdf/ ... ormula.pdf
foamer

Postby foamer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Yeah, how come all these experts in the videos are only wearing a filter mask or P100 canister cartridge?

The RHH foam system MSDS states the following for the more harmful A Component:
Use only in well ventilated areas. When atmospheric levels may exceed exposure guideline, use a approved air purifying respirator equipped with an organic vapor sorbent and a particle filter. In situations of insufficient ventilation, or in situations where the potential exists for exceeding the TLV, wear self-contained breathing apparatus.

Here is the link to their MSDS: http://www.rhhfoamsystems.com/pdf/msds_std.pdf

So to be safe I think Inspector Gadget is right, better wear a self contained breathing apparatus.
foamer

Postby foamer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:03 pm

In this video the guy is only wearing a half mask with filter and P100 organic filters. The video is from the company so it must be an appropriate safety measure.
foamer

Postby dlarrivee » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:28 am

An SCBA would require a tank...

Supplied air would require a pump and half mask at least.
dlarrivee

Postby jsesic » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:15 am

Supplied air is the proper method for working with any type of plural component foam. You should also always use a full-face mask because the gas put off by foam can be very irritating and even damaging to eyes from prolonged use.
jsesic

Next

Return to Ask & Answer: Insulation and Air Sealing Discussion