[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Insulation Discussion Forum • View topic - Attic Insulation Fee

Attic Insulation Fee

Tell us how you do it and find out what other insulation contractors are doing.

How much would your company charge to blow this attic? (See details below the poll)

Poll ended at Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Less than $550
No votes
$551-600
No votes
$601-650
11%
$651-700
22%
$701-750
11%
$751-800
22%
$801-850
No votes
$851-900
No votes
$901-1,000
No votes
$1,001 or more
33%

Total votes : 9

Attic Insulation Fee

Postby SIM » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:58 pm

1,000 square feet - 40 x 25 feet
add cellulose = R38
6/12 roof pitch with 2 gabled ends (easy blowing)
central attic hatch in hallway
assume no air sealing, baffle or hatch work

Need more details? Hit reply and let me know.
Last edited by SIM on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Change typo in desired R vaue from 39 to 38
StartInsulating Forum Moderator
SIM
Site Admin

Advertisement

Re: Poll: Attic Insulation Fee

Postby PRuss » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:03 am

For me it would be 1:15 per SQR ft X 1000 = 1150.00

Materialwould be about 50 bags @ 10.00= 500.00
Ballance for labor 650.00
PRuss

Postby robhelms » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:03 pm

R 39 i have not heard of but R 38 is a typical installation. $10 per bag sounds like the Home Depot material which is a smaller bag than the contractor market is used to buying. But from that reference point $500 is about right for the material for that job. In our market $1.15 is a bit high for a proposal for R 38 with no baffles or anything else. If you are a small one man show with a helper maybe that price will fly, as you would only do two to four per week. But for any type of production those prices will lose a lot of jobs for you. If you have a decent machine and not a HD rental you should be able to blow that attic in 2 to 2 1/2 hours including setup and breakdown. 50 bags at around 30lbs per bag is 1500 lbs of cellulose, and a good mid level blower should do 1800 lbs per hour, so add 60 to 90 minutes to lay some plastic down, setup ladders and lights, set up setting on the machine, break it all back down and clean up, answer questions, reassure the customer, and collect the check, so $650 for labor on a 1000 sqft house is somewhat high.

Two things i see to be competitive here. 1. you need a better material price. some where around $8.50 to $9.00 per bag will get the material price down to around $.43 per foot and then you can shoot that house for around $.85 per sqft. 2. Get the labor process down a bit, and that depends on having a faster than rental machine. as I said above a minimum of 1800 lbs per hour, and even around 2200 lbs per hour will make a huge difference.

Keeping the price down will get you referals, and keep the big boys from getting to many away from you. A good reputation will get you work even if you are a little bit high, but being a lot high will not help at all.
robhelms

Postby PRuss » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:07 pm

I am a State approved weatherization contractor and this is what I make on an open blow.
I own my own machine but agree I could make more if my material cost was lower.
Sorry to hear your market is below 1.00/sqr. ft
PRuss

Postby foamer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:13 pm

I get 55 bags to blow R38 @ 1,000 sq ft. The 22lb bag runs $5 delivered to my warehouse. So my materials cost is $275. It would take 2 guys 4 hours including set-up and clean up. At $50/hr/man the labor is $400.

Our charge is 275 + 400 = $675.
foamer

Postby robhelms » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:29 pm

We buy 30 lbs bags and the coverage is around 40.3 bags per 1000 sqft I would suppose the 22 lb bags are a tad easier to handle if the lifting is very high. It is cool if the price is that high in your market. But that comes with a worry to me. At a $1.15 per sqft you run the risk of encouraging homeowner doit yourselfers since they can also buy the material for around $550 and save $600 to do the job. Anytime the saavings are more than the price of the material you can bet on folks shopping the price and many times doing it themselves. Saving $600 for a saturday afternoons work is money in the pocket. After all open attic blow is not rocket science. I would if i were you call around and shop for a better price on the material, cause getting the price down keeps that from happening as much. If you saved $2.50 per bag that is $137.50 and helps
robhelms

Re: Attic Insulation Fee

Postby Dallas Insulation » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:27 pm

We would charge right at $1000 for the installation in your query. The Dallas market for insulation is improving because of all the 100 degree temperatures we had in the past summer.
Dallas Insulation

Return to Polls: Participate or View Results