[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Insulation Discussion Forum • View topic - Insulationg and airflow attic with no soffits

Insulationg and airflow attic with no soffits

Search for topics related to your area of interest, ask questions, post answers or simply browse our large database of information related to home insulating and air sealing.

Insulationg and airflow attic with no soffits

Postby willbrowm » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:45 pm

I have bought an all brick ranch home that was built in 1954. It has zero soffits. The end of the roof is right at the edge of the vertical walls. The edge, while covered with 1 X 12s has been opened and there is no area to even drill holes that would provide airflow from the lower side of the attic. There are gable vents on each side. There is nothing else for airflow whatsoever. There is less than 6" of blown insulation. I plan to blow in a lot more insulation but I am unsure how to cool the attic. I have considered putting two roof vents in near the peak of the attic. With the only fresh air coming from the gable vents, I am not sure this will suffice. A whole house fan is not an option. This is a rental home and I don't want that.

While I do want to fix this, I am considering how bad this is seeing the home has operated fine for 58 years. I do want a positive experience for my tenant, however.
willbrowm

Advertisement

Re: Insulationg and airflow attic with no soffits

Postby SIM » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:00 pm

You are correct that as long as there has been no problems for almost 60 years you don'y need to change much. To improve venting, however, you can add regular roof vents both high and low.

But be careful that you don't add insulation before you are seal the bypasses caused by chimney, plumbing and wiring with caulk or foam. If you insulate and make the attic cold, but do not air seal and stop the warm moist air from entering the attic, you make get condensation on your roof deck where you never had it before. That could mean mold! This happens because your attic will now be much colder in the winter months than it ever has since the day it was built, thanks to the insulation, which stps conduction of heat and not the flow of air.
StartInsulating Forum Moderator
SIM
Site Admin

Return to Ask & Answer: Insulation and Air Sealing Discussion